Getting braces on itself is an intimidating procedure; to think of what happens after is another story. Honestly, it is best to prepare yourself beforehand rather than going through a hit and trial, which can be quite an unsettling experience. In this piece, we have described what you should look forward to in the first week with a list of what to eat and things to avoid with braces on.
After getting braces on, if you successfully survive the first week, then afterwards it is smooth sailing.
There are a few things you should keep in mind, be vocal about your experience. Please communicate with your dentist and inform him about what is going on. And most importantly, get a list of dos and don’ts; it will be a lifesaver.
The First Week With Braces – What To Expect.
Your mouth, at this point, has not yet become accustomed to foreign entry. Expect to feel a little discomfort, and it shall go away soon enough.
Before leaving your dentist’s office, be sure to
- Check the wire ends to see and amend if there is any extended wire touching the cheek.
- Ask about your to-do list, food options, and appropriate floss and brushing techniques.
- Stock up on the dental supplies that you will need, your survival kit!
Here are some useful tips to help you get on with the first week after getting braces
Use of Wax to Prevent Sores
Brackets are quite gentle on the teeth but may cause abrasion on the soft skin. Wax will reduce the friction between them. Consequently, your mouth won’t get sores.
The saltwater solution works well to reduce irritation and swelling. Swish and swirl at least thrice a day for pain relief.
Regular Brush and Floss
Be vigilant, at least the initial week after getting braces to brush and floss after every meal. The food you eat might get stuck in the braces or between the teeth, so it is important to clean it to avoid plaque and tartar.
What to Eat With Braces in The First Week
Knowing what to eat with braces on, especially at the start is very crucial. Since you are new to the whole thing, it is better to be safe with food options. Here’s a list of what you can eat with ease
- Smoothies and shakes, for example, banana shake for breakfast, is a very good option. It is healthy and quite filling. Even if you feel like leaving the lumps in, banana being soft will not hurt.
- Another great option is an oatmeal bowl. A high fiber, power-packed option. Top it with some berries, and you have yourself a tasty meal.
- Who says food has to be boring once you get braces on? Treat yourself to fluffy scrambled eggs in the morning. They are soft, do not require much chewing, perfect to eat for breakfast during the first week with braces.
- Vegan or not vegan, everyone loves mashed potatoes. Throw in some garlic and seasoning, and you have a perfect bowl of creamy goodness. It is not hard on the wires and easy to remove from teeth.
- Chicken cooked until soft is an apt lunch option. Protein provides strength to go on with the day.
What Not to Eat With Braces
Steer clear of hard foods or anything that requires forced chewing. It might make your bracket detach from wires. It is best to avoid sugary and acidic foods because bacteria thrive on them. This may increase the chances of cavities.
How to Eat With Braces
Initial weeks can be tricky; here’s how you can eat with braces, specifically in the first week.
- Select soft food which is easy to swallow.
- Do not eat anything that might get stuck in your teeth.
- Take smaller bites.
- Eat slowly.
- It is best to make the most use of your back teeth.
Head to Pearl Dentistry in Houston for the best services at amazing prices. If you have any questions regarding the procedure or food items to eat during the first week after getting braces, call us 713 766 4389. We will answer all your queries.